Every choice you make during pregnancy and childbirth either supports your body and the birthing process or hinders it. What should I eat? Should I exercise throughout my pregnancy? Who should I hire for my care provider? When should I go to my planned place of birth? The following 15 tips will help you support your body and the birthing process.
- Eat healthy throughout your pregnancy.
- Stay active throughout your pregnancy.
- Hire your care provider wisely.
- Educate yourself about the basic process of labor and birth. Consider taking an independent childbirth education class like the Birthin' with Love Childbirth Education Classes in Houston.
- Reflect on your family priority, goals, and values for birth, breastfeeding, and parenting.
- Reflect on your fears about birth, breastfeeding, and parenting.
- Reshape your vision of birth.
- Learn to completely release/relax.
- Hire a doula.
- Refuse any intervention that is not necessary for YOUR pregnancy and birth.
- If you are planning on birthing at the hospital, stay at home as long as possible.
- During labor, eat as long as you are hungry and drink throughout.
- Move about and change positions throughout labor and pushing.
- Try to use an upright pushing, like squatting, during the pushing stage.
- After the birth of your baby, keep him/her skin-to-skin for as long as possible.
There definitely is not a one-size-fits-all approach to pregnancy and birth that will work for every woman. BUT, following these tips will offer you the best chance at a healthy pregnancy, a faster, easier, safer birth and a positive start to your breastfeeding and parenting journey. These tips were designed for the healthy woman and the healthy pregnancy. However, implementing as many tips as you safely can will promote a healthy pregnancy and birth no matter your "risk" category.